Thursday, April 14, 2011

Glassware

Hello Everyone! I wasn't going to post today because I want you all to read and respond to yesterday's blog. But then I remembered I made a pact to blog everyday (if possible), and it is possible today. So, I'm swallowing my stubbornness, and here I am, writing a new post. But please, if you could read yesterday's blog and leave some feedback, I'd love it!! So today I thought that I would talk a little about wine glassware. There are so many shapes and sizes and names- and do they even have a specific purpose? Here are the main types of glassware, and the appropriate wine that should be served in each: PS: I have listed in them in the order that you would actually serve the wines if you were hosting a wine dinner. It just so happens that the order perfectly mirrors my order of favorite wines :)

The Champagne Flute:



The shape of the Champage flute prolongs the bead (bubbles) of sparkling wine and keeps its chilled. Plus, when you see those flutes coming out of the cupboard, don't you automatically just think "party time!!"?

The White Wine Glass:


This is a slightly smaller version of a Bordeaux red wine glass (see below). It is smaller because there is less of a need to aerate (allow the wine to breathe) white wines. The smaller tulip shape also protects the cold temperature of the white wine.

The "Burgundy" (Pinot Noir) Glass


This is the largest wine glass, and it allows the maximum exposure to air for any red wine that needs to develop and "open" up. It also just looks pretty sophisticated and cool, huh?

The "Bordeaux" (Cabernet Sauvignon/Merlot) Glass

This glass can be used as an all-purpose glass (this is kind of glass you'll most likely be given at a casual wine tasting), but it technically should be used for Bordeaux wines (AKA:Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot). It has a narrowing goblet shape, but it also has a small-ish opening to concentrate the smelly goodness of the wine.

The Fortified Wines Glass


This is what you'd use when serving Sherry, Port, Madiera, and any other dessert/fortified wines. I don't technically know why they are shaped that way, but the bowl (the round party) is smaller, as a serving of fortified wine is much less generous.


So, what is "aerating"/ "decanting" /"allowing the wine to breathe" and what does it do?


Think about if you went to sleep for about 2 years. It would take some serious stretching, breaths of fresh air, and walking around to get your body and brain moving and grooving again, right? Same for wines. They "sleep" and are shut up in those bottles for years and years!

It typically goes that the older the wine (the longer you sleep), the more time and air it needs to allow the flavors to develop.


This is why the shape of the glass is crucial to the type of wine you are serving.


May I say that while it is important, and "proper ettiquete", I am not super picky about this. You shouldn't feel ashamed if you only have one type of glass in your home. Heck, I have some friends that like to drink their sparkling wine out of a regular glass, opposed to a Champagne flute. Whatever floats your boat.


Remember, my main goal is to get us all educated-- how or when we veer off the path to have fun is up to us :)


Until tomorrow, friends....




** I got my information on : http://www.bestwineglass.com/

0 comments: